“God is in the details.” Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

Friday, October 19

Cedar is a soft wood with striking natural coloring, aroma, and resistance to the elements making it such an interesting and beautiful material to work with. It has been used by the first nations of the pacific coast for millennia, for spiritual and utilitarian purposes. I chose to use cedar because of the joy it brings to me while being worked; the smell, feel and look of this wood are magical and uplifting, making it one of my favorite media.

I reclaim driftwood from the beautiful beaches of Whidbey Island Washington where my family makes its home. Because its journey has included months or years of floating in the saltwater of the pacific and hot sun and winds of Whidbey’s beaches, the cedar I use is surprisingly dry. Therefore, after I have hand shaped and sanded the top to reveal its stunning red hues I finish it with numerous applications of oil to help protect it.