“God is in the details.” Ludwig Mies van der Rohe

Thursday, October 11

My designs and sketches are my introduction to the creative process. The pieces I work on resolve themselves as much as I impart my vision upon them, as the materials I use reveal their unique personalities. I am pleased to say that I am unsuccessful in compelling materials to bend to my will purely through torches, hammers, and files and that I must have an open mind as well. Regardless of my initial intent, my pieces become what they need to be. At best, when I am open and grounded, I find myself in a space where the works seemingly construct themselves with everything moving in agreement, my hands, tools, and media.

The cobra head lamp took months to resolve itself and I am pleased to say that in the end, elegant understated lines won out over more elaborate approaches.